Home » News » Public Safety
Updated: Driver escapes as fire breaks out on coach bus in Plaistow
PLAISTOW - The driver of a coach bus escaped injury Monday morning when the rear of the bus she was driving caught fire as she was heading to Portsmouth to pick up passengers for a trip to Foxwoods Resort Casino.
The fire broke out shortly before 6:30 a.m. on the bus operated by the Plaistow-based Coach Company. Company president Benton Smith said the driver had just left the shop at 11 Wentworth Ave. and took a right onto Route 125 when she smelled something and turned into the Shaw's Supermarket parking lot.
The driver attempted to quickly return to the bus company when the bus stalled behind Shaw's and the fire broke out. The driver evacuated the bus, and mechanics from the bus company rushed to the scene and used three fire extinguishers, but Smith said the fire continued to burn despite their efforts to knock it down.
Firefighters arrived a short time later and put out the flames within about 10 minutes, Fire Chief John McArdle said. The fire heavily damaged the rear of the 2004 Prevost H 345 touring bus, Smith said.
McArdle said the fire was likely caused by a mechanical problem as it appears to have started in the engine compartment, which is located at the back of the bus.
“I don't suspect anything suspicious,” McArdle said.
Smith said he's not sure what caused the fire. Fortunately, Smith said, the bus wasn't carrying passengers and the driver was able to escape unharmed.
This is the Coach Company's second bus fire in 52 years, Smith said, adding that the company has earned the federal Department of Transportation's top safety rating. "It shows the quality of our maintenance," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 0
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072