Miss New Hampshire stays calm during judges' grilling
Megan Lyman, the reigning Miss New Hampshire, said Tuesday that she had a surprising lack of nerves while being grilled by the judges during an interview portion of preliminary rounds of the 2013 Miss America Scholarship Competition.
"I was very calm, actually," Lyman said about Monday's interview session. "I surprised myself by how calm I was."
Lyman is in Las Vegas this week with 52 other competitors from states and U.S. territories vying for the crown. No competitor from New Hampshire has ever won the competition.
Tuesday night was set for the talent portion of the preliminary rounds, and Lyman planned to tap dance. To Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory."
She said she realizes using the pop superstar, known for her outlandish costumes and stage shows, as her background music is a risky move for the straitlaced competition.
"A little bit (risky)," she said. "But we wanted something that was a new, fresh song."
0reach her goal. Votes for Lyman to be America's Choice for the 2013 Miss America competition are being accepted through Thursday. To vote, go to missamerica.org/videocontest or to the video contest Facebook tab at www.facebook.com/missamericaorganization.
The Miss America Competition is held from Monday through Saturday at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas. Preliminary nights are Tuesday, today and Thursday and start at 7 p.m.
The final night of competition will be broadcast live on ABC television from 9 to 11 p.m.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.