Miss New Hampshire stays calm during judges' grilling
"I was very calm, actually," Lyman said about Monday's interview session. "I surprised myself by how calm I was."
Lyman is in Las Vegas this week with 52 other competitors from states and U.S. territories vying for the crown. No competitor from New Hampshire has ever won the competition.
Tuesday night was set for the talent portion of the preliminary rounds, and Lyman planned to tap dance. To Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory."
She said she realizes using the pop superstar, known for her outlandish costumes and stage shows, as her background music is a risky move for the straitlaced competition.
"A little bit (risky)," she said. "But we wanted something that was a new, fresh song."
0reach her goal. Votes for Lyman to be America's Choice for the 2013 Miss America competition are being accepted through Thursday. To vote, go to missamerica.org/videocontest or to the video contest Facebook tab at www.facebook.com/missamericaorganization.
The Miss America Competition is held from Monday through Saturday at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas. Preliminary nights are Tuesday, today and Thursday and start at 7 p.m.
The final night of competition will be broadcast live on ABC television from 9 to 11 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Mind your (flea-market) manners - 0
- A great day for a road race - 0
- Fishermen say lie-detector test keeps Winni Derby honest - 2
- Some Winni Derby fishermen report seeing smaller catches - 1
- Tour de Breakfast fuels about 466 who bicycled, walked to work - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks - A scary spring sight: Dogs hanging out of open car windows - 0
- Hancock trio creates book to help rescue pet birds - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Mixing business and pleasure while in Maine - 0
- A Family Promise holding talent search for fall fundraiser - 0
Mind your (flea-market) manners
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
A great day for a road race
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack