Manchester Crimewatch: Man accused of threatening girlfriend faces bail revocation
January 08. 2013 10:25PM
MANCHESTER - A man scheduled for arraignment Friday on charges of drunken driving, disobeying a police officer by giving a false name and birth date, and taking a vehicle without consent, faces a bail revocation hearing Wednesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division as the result of his arrest early Tuesday on new charges.
Michael Anthony, 49, of 138 Pearl St., said he has a job.
"I deserve to be out," said Anthony, who told Judge Gregory Michael: "You prejudged me. ... I made some mistakes. I manned up."
The new charges are: a felony of criminal threatening alleges Anthony held a steak knife at shoulder height as he threatened to kill his girlfriend and two misdemeanor assault charges for allegedly punching the woman in the face and grabbing her left wrist as she tried to get away.
Court documents show that when police responded to the woman's apartment for a call of an assault/threat, the woman told them the couple had gone to RAXX billiards on Elm Street Monday night, but Anthony left early. When she arrived home, the woman said, the lights were out and as she entered the apartment, Anthony punched her in the head, and mouth area approximately three times.
The documents show a police officer noted there was redness on the woman's forehead and right check and she had a fat lip. Anthony told police he and the woman were just talking.
Trial dates will be set Wednesday for Anthony, who was out on $1,000 personal recognizance bail when he allegedly committed new crimes Tuesday morning.
His criminal record includes witness tampering, theft by unauthorized taking, simple assault, willful concealment, false prescription and criminal threatening.
Will fight parking ticket
Jeffrey Barchus, 51, who said he is homeless, pleaded guilty Tuesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to a traffic control violation, saying he did go through a red light. But he said: "I have no money. I'm homeless."
Under an agreement Barchus made with prosecutors, he was ordered to pay $74.40, plus $50 for failing to appear when initially scheduled, on or before March 8 or surrender to serve the amount off at $50 a day.
But Barchus said he would fight a ticket that alleges he parked a trailer at 270 Amherst St. for more than 24 hours.
"I don't have a trailer," said Barchus, who said his vehicle is properly registered and inspected.
He did not described his vehicle, but when he appeared in Circuit Court in July 2012 on another matter, he said he was living in his camper.
Trial on the parking ticket was set for March 4.
Says he can stay out of trouble
Andrew Worcester, 20, who said he lives at the Nashua shelter, could enter no plea Tuesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to a felony drug possession charge for which he failed to appear on Nov. 15.
Worcester insisted he had been transported from the Valley Street jail that day. "I was incarcerated," he said.
"They brought me here," he said, but didn't bring him upstairs to a courtroom.
Police prosecutor Carissa Pelletier sought $500 cash/surety bail for Worcester, noting he is under the umbrella of a 12-month sentence, with all but three months suspended, on a Sept. 12 conviction in Hillsborough County Superior Court South.
Worcester asked for personal recognizance bail, saying he is unemployed. Judge Gregory Michael asked him: "Can you stay out of trouble?" Worcester's immediate response was: "Of course."
Michael set bail at $1,000 personal recognizance and a probable cause hearing on the felony was set for Jan. 17.