Home » News » Public Safety
Controlled fire levels dorm as part of Balsams renovation
The deliberate, controlled burn was a major aspect of the demolition work aimed at clearing the way for a multi-million dollar renovation of the Civil War-era resort.
Fire crews from Colebrook and Pittsburg in New Hampshire, and Beecher Falls, Vt., were on the scene shortly after daybreak Sunday, primarily to ensure that flames didn't spread to the adjacent main hotel building.
Originally an inn on the historic 7,700-acre New Hampshire property, the vacant building also served later as a dormitory for the resort's employees, some 300 of whom worked the summer and winter seasons at The Balsams, including at its ski area and two golf courses.
The resort has been closed in recent years while Balsams View, a company founded by two businessmen with ties to the Colebrook area, attempt to put together the financing for the large project that could reach around $30 million.
The two say their goal is to return The Balsams to its former glory, reopen it as a resort, and have the site resume its longtime role as the area's largest provider of jobs.
Following a large auction last May that saw buyers carry off some 3,000 items, including the furniture and drapes from the now-vacant 212 guest rooms, demolition crews began their work and labored throughout the summer and fall to prepare for the renovations.
Owners Daniel Hebert and Daniel Dagesse spent $2.3 million just over a year ago to purchase the property.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dover mortorcyclist taken to Maine hospital after crash - 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 15
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Rochester eyes another Legion baseball crown - 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 3
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 1
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
Police say boy, 6, found in getaway car
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's