Home » News » Public Safety
Controlled fire levels dorm as part of Balsams renovation
The deliberate, controlled burn was a major aspect of the demolition work aimed at clearing the way for a multi-million dollar renovation of the Civil War-era resort.
Fire crews from Colebrook and Pittsburg in New Hampshire, and Beecher Falls, Vt., were on the scene shortly after daybreak Sunday, primarily to ensure that flames didn't spread to the adjacent main hotel building.
Originally an inn on the historic 7,700-acre New Hampshire property, the vacant building also served later as a dormitory for the resort's employees, some 300 of whom worked the summer and winter seasons at The Balsams, including at its ski area and two golf courses.
The resort has been closed in recent years while Balsams View, a company founded by two businessmen with ties to the Colebrook area, attempt to put together the financing for the large project that could reach around $30 million.
The two say their goal is to return The Balsams to its former glory, reopen it as a resort, and have the site resume its longtime role as the area's largest provider of jobs.
Following a large auction last May that saw buyers carry off some 3,000 items, including the furniture and drapes from the now-vacant 212 guest rooms, demolition crews began their work and labored throughout the summer and fall to prepare for the renovations.
Owners Daniel Hebert and Daniel Dagesse spent $2.3 million just over a year ago to purchase the property.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 127
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 16
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?