Home » News » Public Safety
Controlled fire levels dorm as part of Balsams renovation
The deliberate, controlled burn was a major aspect of the demolition work aimed at clearing the way for a multi-million dollar renovation of the Civil War-era resort.
Fire crews from Colebrook and Pittsburg in New Hampshire, and Beecher Falls, Vt., were on the scene shortly after daybreak Sunday, primarily to ensure that flames didn't spread to the adjacent main hotel building.
Originally an inn on the historic 7,700-acre New Hampshire property, the vacant building also served later as a dormitory for the resort's employees, some 300 of whom worked the summer and winter seasons at The Balsams, including at its ski area and two golf courses.
The resort has been closed in recent years while Balsams View, a company founded by two businessmen with ties to the Colebrook area, attempt to put together the financing for the large project that could reach around $30 million.
The two say their goal is to return The Balsams to its former glory, reopen it as a resort, and have the site resume its longtime role as the area's largest provider of jobs.
Following a large auction last May that saw buyers carry off some 3,000 items, including the furniture and drapes from the now-vacant 212 guest rooms, demolition crews began their work and labored throughout the summer and fall to prepare for the renovations.
Owners Daniel Hebert and Daniel Dagesse spent $2.3 million just over a year ago to purchase the property.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 4
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Too much FahrvergnŘgen: Nashua man charged with indecent exposure while driving - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Garcia to air her first TV ad - 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 1
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate