All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Bedford home invasion mystery deepens; wife found dead, doctor unconscious

Union Leader Correspondent

January 07. 2013 8:56PM
A member of the New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit takes photographs Tuesday outside the Bedford condominium where the body of Sonia Quesada was found on Monday. Her husband, Dr. Eduardo Quesada, was unconscious inside the condo when police arrived. (David Lane/Union Leader)

BEDFORD - The wife of Dr. Eduardo Quesada was found dead Monday at her mother-in-law's condominium, six weeks after he was brutally beaten during a home invasion at the couple's lavish Proclamation Court home. Police said the anesthesiologist was also inside the condo, unconscious.

Police Chief John Bryfonski said Sonia Quesada was dead when paramedics arrived at 49 Kensington Lane. Bryfonski said she had no signs of trauma.

'There was a large amount of prescription medication ... that was found nearby,' Bryfonski said.

Police were able to communicate with Dr. Quesada; Bryfonski would not provide details on what he said.

The chief said Dr. Quesada was taken to an area hospital and his condition was unknown. Earlier, Bedford fire officials had said a patient was taken to Catholic Medical Center in Manchester.

The couple's 2-year-old daughter was not at the home, police said, and is in the custody of a family member.

Relatives called police about 10 a.m. Monday after not being able to reach the Quesadas by telephone, saying both had failed to appear at scheduled appointments earlier in the day.

Bryfonski said there were no signs of forced entry. Police had to break down the door to get into the home in the Mews, a 55-and-older condominium development near St. Elizabeth Seton Church.

Police said the Quesadas were staying at the home, which is owned by Norma Quesada, 81, the mother of the doctor.

Quesada and his wife were both hospitalized after the Nov. 24 attack in their Bedford home. Police have said the assailant broke into the upscale home at 7 Proclamation Court that Quesada shared with his wife, Sonia, and their 2-year-old daughter. They have given a general description - a 6-foot-tall man who wore a black ski mask and dark clothing. Police have said the attack may have been random.

Bryfonski said Monday's case is being treated as a separate matter from the Nov. 24 home invasion.

An autopsy will be performed today on Sonia Quesada.

The Attorney General's Office as well as the Hillsborough County Attorney's Office and State Police are assisting in the case.

Julie Taylor, president of The Mews at Bedford, the 55-plus community where Dr. and Mrs. Quesada were living, said she had made no connection between Norma Quesada and Eduardo Quesada.

'I think that's one of the reasons why the whole incident on Proclamation Court was upsetting ... (was) the fact that there weren't answers for it,' Taylor said. 'Everybody wants to know we're safe because this was an isolated incident, and maybe it was, but the police couldn't confirm any of that for whatever reason.

'Everyone that knows about it now doesn't seem particularly frightened because they believe it is an isolated incident that finished playing out,' she said

Mary Lou Brindisi, who lives across the street from the Quesada house, said she came home around noon to a fire truck, ambulance and several police cars.

'I just assumed that maybe it was a robbery - it just seemed like there were a lot of policemen,' she said.

Brindisi said Norma Quesada has lived at the house almost as long as she has; around 10 years.

'I'm embarrassed that I never put the names together. Norma Quesada has lived across the street from me for a long time, and I never made the connection.'

New Hampshire Union Leader Staff Writer Doug Alden contributed to this report.

Public Safety Bedford Top Section Stories

More Headlines