Home » Opinion » Editorials
More volunteers: Gatsas is on to something
Why would you put a teacher in charge of a roomful of children whose lessons are being delivered by another teacher?
That is the question Mayor Ted Gatsas is posing by advocating that virtual learning classrooms in Manchester's public schools be headed by volunteers, not teachers. He has a great point.
The mayor wants to expand learning opportunities in the public schools by providing "virtual classrooms." Students could either take a course through the state's Virtual Learning Academy Charter School or through a video link from another school. Either way, the lesson would be delivered by a teacher somewhere else. But an adult still needs to be in the room, for obvious reasons. Gatsas says those adults need not be teachers, but can be volunteers from the community.
Predictably, the Manchester Education Association, the teachers union, has expressed "concerns" about this idea. But the MEA is really concerned about union membership and compensation. It wants its members in those classrooms. That would boost its membership and its bottom line. But that would cost taxpayers a lot more without providing an educational benefit of corresponding value (another teacher is teaching the class). No wonder Gatsas wants to go with volunteers.
The mayor ought to push his idea hard. He also should look for other areas where the schools can make better use of volunteers (as they already do in some areas). Teachers should teach. But we need not rely on professional staff to run every aspect of the school day.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: Manchester's Elliot Hospital grows, evolves - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: An early challenge for the Elliot Hospital - 2
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: The Elliot Hospital's grand opening - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: The start of Manchester's Elliot Hospital began with a generous gift - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The story of Mary and John Elliot of Manchester - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Murdered, Elinus Morrison is laid to rest in the Valley Cemetery - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: A shocking Confederate raid in Vermont - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The Civil War comes to Elinus Morrison - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: A Civil War tragedy - Elinus Morrison of Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 10
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax