Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters save 150-year-old barn in Epsom
"It's about 150 years old," said Brian Nutter, a relative of the homeowner. "The top of the smokestack got so hot that it set some of the two-by-fours on the ceiling above the drywall, they got so hot that they started getting charred and smoking."
The Epsom Fire Department is still investigating the cause of the fire but did confirm that it originated around the wood stove, burning through the second floor and out into the attic of the barn. The family said the homeowner had converted the barn into an apartment space. While the structure of the building remains intact, the interior damage caused by the fire was substantial enough to make the building uninhabitable for the time being.
The fire department got the call at approximately 3:15 p.m. and managed to have the fire completely extinguished soon afterwards. Though the building is relatively isolated, the fire station is less than a mile away.
"We had it knocked down pretty quick, about 20 minutes," said Epsom Fire Chief Stewart Yeaton. "The guys did a heck of a job stopping it when they did."
The fire produced a significant response, with trucks and personnel from multiple area towns present, in part due to concerns that the fire could spread to adjacent buildings on the property.
"We kept trucks coming because granted these buildings are far apart, but that started generating a lot of heat, and if we lost that we could've lost the rest of them too," said Yeaton.
No one was injured in the fire, and for the time being the family is thankful the damage was as relatively limited as it was.
"Everyone's fine. Another 5 minutes might've been a different story," said Nutter. "They're telling me another 5 minutes and we might've lost the barn. So it could've been worse if they hadn't gotten here as quickly as they did."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072