Home » News » Public Safety
91-year-old driver charged after firefighter struck
According to a statement from Weare Police Chief Gregory Begin, the chief and another officer responded to an accident at the intersection of Route 77 and Sugar Hill Road involving a jack-knifed tractor-trailer and an automobile.
An investigation of the incident revealed that Alita Phelps, 48, of 5 Smith Road in Andover, turned right out of Sugar Hill Road onto Route 77 and into the path of an oncoming tractor-trailer. The truck, driven by Joseph Boyce, 30, of 1602 Route 25 in Orford hit the 2001 Dodge Neon being driven by Phelps, seriously damaging the rear end.
Phelps was transported to Concord Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
However, while the accident scene was being investigated, a second accident occurred. Weare firefighter Jeff Lewis, 31, of 17 Pleasant St. in Goffstown was assisting with traffic on the east side of the crash scene when he was struck by a 2001 Ford Focus. The Focus, driven by Alice Grenier, 91, of 373 South Sugar Hill Road in Weare, hit Lewis and caused non-life-threatening injuries. Lewis was also transported to Concord Hospital by Weare ambulance.
Grenier is facing two charges including vehicular assault and reckless operation. She is slated to appear in Goffstown Circuit Court for her arraignment on Jan. 24.
The cause of the initial accident is still under investigation and anyone with information is being asked to contact the Weare Police Department at 529-7755.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth