Home » News » Public Safety
91-year-old driver charged after firefighter struck
According to a statement from Weare Police Chief Gregory Begin, the chief and another officer responded to an accident at the intersection of Route 77 and Sugar Hill Road involving a jack-knifed tractor-trailer and an automobile.
An investigation of the incident revealed that Alita Phelps, 48, of 5 Smith Road in Andover, turned right out of Sugar Hill Road onto Route 77 and into the path of an oncoming tractor-trailer. The truck, driven by Joseph Boyce, 30, of 1602 Route 25 in Orford hit the 2001 Dodge Neon being driven by Phelps, seriously damaging the rear end.
Phelps was transported to Concord Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
However, while the accident scene was being investigated, a second accident occurred. Weare firefighter Jeff Lewis, 31, of 17 Pleasant St. in Goffstown was assisting with traffic on the east side of the crash scene when he was struck by a 2001 Ford Focus. The Focus, driven by Alice Grenier, 91, of 373 South Sugar Hill Road in Weare, hit Lewis and caused non-life-threatening injuries. Lewis was also transported to Concord Hospital by Weare ambulance.
Grenier is facing two charges including vehicular assault and reckless operation. She is slated to appear in Goffstown Circuit Court for her arraignment on Jan. 24.
The cause of the initial accident is still under investigation and anyone with information is being asked to contact the Weare Police Department at 529-7755.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
- Two hurt in Epping crash involving bus, five other vehicles - 0
- New Boston man killed in fiery Mont Vernon crash - 0
- Man suffers serious burns in Plaistow house fire - 0
- Fire in Claremont Middle School of 'suspicious' origin - 0
- Construction of temporary bridge in Francestown set to start this month - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19