Home » News » Public Safety
91-year-old driver charged after firefighter struck
According to a statement from Weare Police Chief Gregory Begin, the chief and another officer responded to an accident at the intersection of Route 77 and Sugar Hill Road involving a jack-knifed tractor-trailer and an automobile.
An investigation of the incident revealed that Alita Phelps, 48, of 5 Smith Road in Andover, turned right out of Sugar Hill Road onto Route 77 and into the path of an oncoming tractor-trailer. The truck, driven by Joseph Boyce, 30, of 1602 Route 25 in Orford hit the 2001 Dodge Neon being driven by Phelps, seriously damaging the rear end.
Phelps was transported to Concord Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
However, while the accident scene was being investigated, a second accident occurred. Weare firefighter Jeff Lewis, 31, of 17 Pleasant St. in Goffstown was assisting with traffic on the east side of the crash scene when he was struck by a 2001 Ford Focus. The Focus, driven by Alice Grenier, 91, of 373 South Sugar Hill Road in Weare, hit Lewis and caused non-life-threatening injuries. Lewis was also transported to Concord Hospital by Weare ambulance.
Grenier is facing two charges including vehicular assault and reckless operation. She is slated to appear in Goffstown Circuit Court for her arraignment on Jan. 24.
The cause of the initial accident is still under investigation and anyone with information is being asked to contact the Weare Police Department at 529-7755.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police warn of holiday pitfalls - 0
- Halogen lamp causes Somersworth house fire - 0
- Dover enacts emergency parking ban for Friday - 0
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072