Home » News » Public Safety
91-year-old driver charged after firefighter struck
According to a statement from Weare Police Chief Gregory Begin, the chief and another officer responded to an accident at the intersection of Route 77 and Sugar Hill Road involving a jack-knifed tractor-trailer and an automobile.
An investigation of the incident revealed that Alita Phelps, 48, of 5 Smith Road in Andover, turned right out of Sugar Hill Road onto Route 77 and into the path of an oncoming tractor-trailer. The truck, driven by Joseph Boyce, 30, of 1602 Route 25 in Orford hit the 2001 Dodge Neon being driven by Phelps, seriously damaging the rear end.
Phelps was transported to Concord Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
However, while the accident scene was being investigated, a second accident occurred. Weare firefighter Jeff Lewis, 31, of 17 Pleasant St. in Goffstown was assisting with traffic on the east side of the crash scene when he was struck by a 2001 Ford Focus. The Focus, driven by Alice Grenier, 91, of 373 South Sugar Hill Road in Weare, hit Lewis and caused non-life-threatening injuries. Lewis was also transported to Concord Hospital by Weare ambulance.
Grenier is facing two charges including vehicular assault and reckless operation. She is slated to appear in Goffstown Circuit Court for her arraignment on Jan. 24.
The cause of the initial accident is still under investigation and anyone with information is being asked to contact the Weare Police Department at 529-7755.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072