Hirschfeld invested as state's 10th bishop
Members of Hirschfeld's family were present at the morning service, and clergy and church members from across New Hampshire filled the church. As a part of the ancient ritual, Hirschfeld stood outside the church and knocked on the door three times, requesting permission to enter, and was admitted.
Linking her sermon to the Epiphany story, Canon Judith Esmay referred to the magi who visited the manger, saying, "Whatever it was they saw, those wise men were sure that they had found the place and person they sought .... The story is not so much that they brought the gifts; it's that they left the gifts."
The Right Rev. Stephen Lane, bishop of Maine, presided at the investiture. Participating bishops were The retired Right Rev. V. Gene Robinson, ninth Bishop of New Hampshire, and the Right Rev. Douglas Theuner, eighth bishop of New Hampshire (retired). The large choir included singers from several parishes in the state.
Hirschfeld's predecessor Bishop Robinson presented the crozier (bishop's staff), symbolizing his role as shepherd and chief pastor. In one of many lighthearted moments, Robinson also bestowed the official three-digit license plate assigned by the state Legislature to the person serving as bishop of New Hampshire, prompting laughter and applause.
Hirschfeld served as rector of Grace Episcopal Church, Amherst, Mass., when elected by the Diocese of New Hampshire on the first ballot from a group of three nominees. He was consecrated as a bishop in August at the Capitol Center for the Arts in Concord.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 4
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 15
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
- Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin? - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness - 0
- George Will: The face of IRS behavior - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus