Home » Opinion » Editorials
NH's budget picture: Big decisions must come soon
The Legislative Budget Assistant's Office says the state is headed for a $25 million budget shortfall this year because hospitals are withholding their Medicaid enhancement tax payments in a dispute with the state over the tax. (The shortfall could be closer to $35 million, some legislators believe.)
Counting on new revenue from a growing economy would be a mistake, several economic analysts have said. The state's economy is expected to remain sluggish this year. And that leaves legislators and the governor in a pickle.
Gov. Maggie Hassan and many Democrats campaigned last year on promises to "restore" spending cuts by Republicans in the last budget cycle. But as legislators are seeing this week, the money simply is not there. As House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Susan Almy noted, there is not even enough money to fund the state's current operations, much less pay for anything on top of that.
It looks as though Hassan and the Democratic leaders in the House have to choose one of three paths: 1) pull back from the "restoration" on which they campaigned (thus tacitly acknowledging that Republicans were right when they said there was not enough money); 2) approve massive tax increases; or 3) bet everything on a swift approval of casino gambling, which would have to include the immediate sale of casino licenses worth tens of millions of dollars.
Gov. Hassan has some pretty big decisions to make in the next few weeks.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox catch Rays in ninth - 0
- Drew, Red Sox pound Rays - 0
- Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox - 0
- Blue Jays homers hammer Red Sox - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: This is Lester's team now - 0
- Red Sox can't get any relief as Lind's homer wins it for Jays - 0
- Lester dominates Jays, tossing one-hitter - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Bullpen becomes land of questions - 0
- Red Sox stumble again, drop third straight to Twins - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- NH troopers help Boston victims - 0
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- New president named at FIRST - 0
- NH Military People: NH woman graduates from Air Force training - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Oxbow captures Preakness Stakes - 0
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges
NH vote nears on expansion of Medicaid
Nashua school parking surprise