Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Bench lifts Celtics to 87-79 win over Suns
Rookie Jared Sullinger had his second double-double with 12 points and a career-high 16 rebounds and Jason Terry scored 13 as the Celtics' bench outscored the starters 47-40.
Luis Scola scored 16 points and Marcin Gortat added 12 points and 14 rebounds for Phoenix, which dropped its fourth straight game overall and 11th consecutive away from home.
The Suns trailed by 14 points in the opening minute of the third quarter but Gortat scored six points in a 17-0 spurt to put Phoenix ahead 58-55 before Boston battled back to take a 67-64 lead into the fourth.
The Celtics' defense took control in the final 12 minutes, limiting the Suns to only two field goals and none in the final seven minutes. Back-to-back baskets by Green and a layup by Sullinger extended the lead to 82-69 with 4:31 to play.
GAME NOTEBOOK: C Kevin Garnett was the only Boston starter in double figures with 10 points, but he had three of the team's 12 steals. ... Jared Dudley also had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds for Phoenix, which fell to 1-10 in its last 11 games. ... Both teams were dreadful from beyond the arc - Boston finished 3-for-14 and the Suns were 2-for-12.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
- Another Celts meltdown as Knicks take command of series - 0
- Celts 'point' to Garnett for solutions - 0
- Too much Carmelo as Knicks top Celtics in Game 1 - 0
- C's end regular season on losing note - 0
- Celtics clinch No. 7 seed with easy win over Magic - 0
- Heat's stars get better of Celtics - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- House kills Hassan-backed casino bill, 199-164 - 16
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 8
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
License revocations for DWI announced
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs