Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Bench lifts Celtics to 87-79 win over Suns
Rookie Jared Sullinger had his second double-double with 12 points and a career-high 16 rebounds and Jason Terry scored 13 as the Celtics' bench outscored the starters 47-40.
Luis Scola scored 16 points and Marcin Gortat added 12 points and 14 rebounds for Phoenix, which dropped its fourth straight game overall and 11th consecutive away from home.
The Suns trailed by 14 points in the opening minute of the third quarter but Gortat scored six points in a 17-0 spurt to put Phoenix ahead 58-55 before Boston battled back to take a 67-64 lead into the fourth.
The Celtics' defense took control in the final 12 minutes, limiting the Suns to only two field goals and none in the final seven minutes. Back-to-back baskets by Green and a layup by Sullinger extended the lead to 82-69 with 4:31 to play.
GAME NOTEBOOK: C Kevin Garnett was the only Boston starter in double figures with 10 points, but he had three of the team's 12 steals. ... Jared Dudley also had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds for Phoenix, which fell to 1-10 in its last 11 games. ... Both teams were dreadful from beyond the arc - Boston finished 3-for-14 and the Suns were 2-for-12.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs roll up their sleeves for Game 4 - 0
- Jones, Monarchs stay alive with Game 3 win - 0
- Monarchs in must-win situation Thursday night in Manchester - 0
- Second close loss in two days puts Monarchs in 0-2 playoff hole - 0
- Monarchs edged in overtime in playoff opener - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Hockey: Trying to stay on a roll - 1
- Monarchs complete amazing late-season surge to clinch playoff spot - 1
- Monarchs vault into playoff position - 0
- On Hockey: Monarchs need one final playoff push - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious - 0
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 0
- Woman rescued after Franklin accident, 50-foot plunge - 0
- UPDATED: Judge strikes down state education tax credit program, appeal expected - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- UPDATED: Little agreement on Medicaid expansion or revenues - 1
- Powerful storm wreaks havoc in Portsmouth - 0
- Former Londonderry coach indicted in sex assault of two girls - 1
- Weather Service warns of severe thunderstorms in southern NH - 0
Big Moose RV moves to massive Route 16 lot
Traffic stops in spotlight
One era ends, another begins at Union Leader
A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely
Study recommends Millyard parking garage