Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Bench lifts Celtics to 87-79 win over Suns
Rookie Jared Sullinger had his second double-double with 12 points and a career-high 16 rebounds and Jason Terry scored 13 as the Celtics' bench outscored the starters 47-40.
Luis Scola scored 16 points and Marcin Gortat added 12 points and 14 rebounds for Phoenix, which dropped its fourth straight game overall and 11th consecutive away from home.
The Suns trailed by 14 points in the opening minute of the third quarter but Gortat scored six points in a 17-0 spurt to put Phoenix ahead 58-55 before Boston battled back to take a 67-64 lead into the fourth.
The Celtics' defense took control in the final 12 minutes, limiting the Suns to only two field goals and none in the final seven minutes. Back-to-back baskets by Green and a layup by Sullinger extended the lead to 82-69 with 4:31 to play.
GAME NOTEBOOK: C Kevin Garnett was the only Boston starter in double figures with 10 points, but he had three of the team's 12 steals. ... Jared Dudley also had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds for Phoenix, which fell to 1-10 in its last 11 games. ... Both teams were dreadful from beyond the arc - Boston finished 3-for-14 and the Suns were 2-for-12.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats piece puzzle together - 0
- Texans tap Londonderry's Griffin in NFL Draft - 1
- Patriots make LB, WR top draft picks - 0
- Vikings make NFL Draft splash with three first-round picks, huge trade with Pats - 0
- Top pick Fisher leads linemen's march at NFL Draft - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Patience a virtue for Pats - 0
- Patriots to open, close season with Bills - 0
- Steelers match Patriots' offer, retain wide receiver Sanders - 0
- Patriots re-sign Edelman, make offer to Sanders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate removes student IDs as indisputable ID for voting - 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 4
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 13
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
License revocations for DWI announced