Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Bench lifts Celtics to 87-79 win over Suns
Rookie Jared Sullinger had his second double-double with 12 points and a career-high 16 rebounds and Jason Terry scored 13 as the Celtics' bench outscored the starters 47-40.
Luis Scola scored 16 points and Marcin Gortat added 12 points and 14 rebounds for Phoenix, which dropped its fourth straight game overall and 11th consecutive away from home.
The Suns trailed by 14 points in the opening minute of the third quarter but Gortat scored six points in a 17-0 spurt to put Phoenix ahead 58-55 before Boston battled back to take a 67-64 lead into the fourth.
The Celtics' defense took control in the final 12 minutes, limiting the Suns to only two field goals and none in the final seven minutes. Back-to-back baskets by Green and a layup by Sullinger extended the lead to 82-69 with 4:31 to play.
GAME NOTEBOOK: C Kevin Garnett was the only Boston starter in double figures with 10 points, but he had three of the team's 12 steals. ... Jared Dudley also had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds for Phoenix, which fell to 1-10 in its last 11 games. ... Both teams were dreadful from beyond the arc - Boston finished 3-for-14 and the Suns were 2-for-12.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Granite Staters lifts UConn baseball team in NCAAs - 0
- Berlin native Gendron is new Maine ice coach - 0
- Goffstown’s Bourque heads UNH hockey recuiting list - 0
- Granite State players help college teams to playoffs - 0
- Franklin Pierce ousted from NCAA Div. II baseball championship - 0
- Sloppy FPU outslugged at World Series - 0
- Dionne, Duprey help Duke - 0
- Franklin Pierce opens D-II World Series with win - 1
- NCAA finals a first for most FPU Ravens - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 16
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally