Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Bench lifts Celtics to 87-79 win over Suns
Rookie Jared Sullinger had his second double-double with 12 points and a career-high 16 rebounds and Jason Terry scored 13 as the Celtics' bench outscored the starters 47-40.
Luis Scola scored 16 points and Marcin Gortat added 12 points and 14 rebounds for Phoenix, which dropped its fourth straight game overall and 11th consecutive away from home.
The Suns trailed by 14 points in the opening minute of the third quarter but Gortat scored six points in a 17-0 spurt to put Phoenix ahead 58-55 before Boston battled back to take a 67-64 lead into the fourth.
The Celtics' defense took control in the final 12 minutes, limiting the Suns to only two field goals and none in the final seven minutes. Back-to-back baskets by Green and a layup by Sullinger extended the lead to 82-69 with 4:31 to play.
GAME NOTEBOOK: C Kevin Garnett was the only Boston starter in double figures with 10 points, but he had three of the team's 12 steals. ... Jared Dudley also had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds for Phoenix, which fell to 1-10 in its last 11 games. ... Both teams were dreadful from beyond the arc - Boston finished 3-for-14 and the Suns were 2-for-12.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 25
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 2
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 82
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
- American blessing: The Pilgrims and self-reliance - 20
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 5
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'