Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm Sandown blaze knocked down
The fire broke out shortly before 6 a.m. at the single-story residence at 13 First St.
Fire Chief Wilfred Tapley said the rear of the house was fully involved when firefighters arrived. The homeowner was home at the time and escaped without injury. Tapley said the fire appears to have started in a back porch in the area of a pellet stove, but the cause remains under investigation.
"We started knocking it down and saw extensive smoke coming from the attic, but with the help from all the crews from neighboring towns we stopped it from getting into the attic," Tapley said.
Gusty winds that arrived early Thursday morning made fighting the fire more difficult, Tapley said, adding, "All you need is one spark with that wind."
The fire was brought under control within about a half-hour, but firefighters remained on the scene at 8:30 a.m. as they continued to overhaul the building.
The homeowner, who declined to give his name, said he was advised by his insurance company not to comment on the fire. Sandown firefighters were assisted by crews from Auburn, Chester, Danville, Derry, Fremont, Hampstead, and Raymond.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions