Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm Sandown blaze knocked down
A two-alarm fire gutted the rear porch area of a house at 13 First St. in Sandown Thursday morning. (Jason Schreiber/Union Ledaer Correspondent)
The fire broke out shortly before 6 a.m. at the single-story residence at 13 First St.
Fire Chief Wilfred Tapley said the rear of the house was fully involved when firefighters arrived. The homeowner was home at the time and escaped without injury. Tapley said the fire appears to have started in a back porch in the area of a pellet stove, but the cause remains under investigation.
"We started knocking it down and saw extensive smoke coming from the attic, but with the help from all the crews from neighboring towns we stopped it from getting into the attic," Tapley said.
Gusty winds that arrived early Thursday morning made fighting the fire more difficult, Tapley said, adding, "All you need is one spark with that wind."
The fire was brought under control within about a half-hour, but firefighters remained on the scene at 8:30 a.m. as they continued to overhaul the building.
The homeowner, who declined to give his name, said he was advised by his insurance company not to comment on the fire. Sandown firefighters were assisted by crews from Auburn, Chester, Danville, Derry, Fremont, Hampstead, and Raymond.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 1
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 12
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children