Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm Sandown blaze knocked down
A two-alarm fire gutted the rear porch area of a house at 13 First St. in Sandown Thursday morning. (Jason Schreiber/Union Ledaer Correspondent)
The fire broke out shortly before 6 a.m. at the single-story residence at 13 First St.
Fire Chief Wilfred Tapley said the rear of the house was fully involved when firefighters arrived. The homeowner was home at the time and escaped without injury. Tapley said the fire appears to have started in a back porch in the area of a pellet stove, but the cause remains under investigation.
"We started knocking it down and saw extensive smoke coming from the attic, but with the help from all the crews from neighboring towns we stopped it from getting into the attic," Tapley said.
Gusty winds that arrived early Thursday morning made fighting the fire more difficult, Tapley said, adding, "All you need is one spark with that wind."
The fire was brought under control within about a half-hour, but firefighters remained on the scene at 8:30 a.m. as they continued to overhaul the building.
The homeowner, who declined to give his name, said he was advised by his insurance company not to comment on the fire. Sandown firefighters were assisted by crews from Auburn, Chester, Danville, Derry, Fremont, Hampstead, and Raymond.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test