Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm Sandown blaze knocked down
A two-alarm fire gutted the rear porch area of a house at 13 First St. in Sandown Thursday morning. (Jason Schreiber/Union Ledaer Correspondent)
The fire broke out shortly before 6 a.m. at the single-story residence at 13 First St.
Fire Chief Wilfred Tapley said the rear of the house was fully involved when firefighters arrived. The homeowner was home at the time and escaped without injury. Tapley said the fire appears to have started in a back porch in the area of a pellet stove, but the cause remains under investigation.
"We started knocking it down and saw extensive smoke coming from the attic, but with the help from all the crews from neighboring towns we stopped it from getting into the attic," Tapley said.
Gusty winds that arrived early Thursday morning made fighting the fire more difficult, Tapley said, adding, "All you need is one spark with that wind."
The fire was brought under control within about a half-hour, but firefighters remained on the scene at 8:30 a.m. as they continued to overhaul the building.
The homeowner, who declined to give his name, said he was advised by his insurance company not to comment on the fire. Sandown firefighters were assisted by crews from Auburn, Chester, Danville, Derry, Fremont, Hampstead, and Raymond.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Check those pool filters for another invasive species - 0
- Lowell apartment house fire claims 7 lives, including three children - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 2
- State Police Marine Patrol IDs Duncan Lake drowning victim - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 1
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
Community groups profit from race week
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?