Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm Sandown blaze knocked down
A two-alarm fire gutted the rear porch area of a house at 13 First St. in Sandown Thursday morning. (Jason Schreiber/Union Ledaer Correspondent)
The fire broke out shortly before 6 a.m. at the single-story residence at 13 First St.
Fire Chief Wilfred Tapley said the rear of the house was fully involved when firefighters arrived. The homeowner was home at the time and escaped without injury. Tapley said the fire appears to have started in a back porch in the area of a pellet stove, but the cause remains under investigation.
"We started knocking it down and saw extensive smoke coming from the attic, but with the help from all the crews from neighboring towns we stopped it from getting into the attic," Tapley said.
Gusty winds that arrived early Thursday morning made fighting the fire more difficult, Tapley said, adding, "All you need is one spark with that wind."
The fire was brought under control within about a half-hour, but firefighters remained on the scene at 8:30 a.m. as they continued to overhaul the building.
The homeowner, who declined to give his name, said he was advised by his insurance company not to comment on the fire. Sandown firefighters were assisted by crews from Auburn, Chester, Danville, Derry, Fremont, Hampstead, and Raymond.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads