Home » Opinion » Editorials
A 'free' RV for MFD: A nice ride to the poor farm
Apparently it won't be the City of Manchester that says "no."
Manchester's Fire Department, with the blessing of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, has applied for and received a $600,000 federal "grant" (that would be your money) to purchase a super-sized recreational vehicle disguised as a "Unified Command Vehicle.''
Why? No one can make a serious case for this thing. The fire chief didn't say his department would put out fires any faster. He did say that the police could also use it; but we didn't read any promises that they would be able to stop crime any faster with this ark.
So why get it? Well, explained Fire Chief James Burkush, "If Manchester didn't take this vehicle, then another community in the state would."
Ah, yes, the tried-and-true and never-ending excuse for tapping the federal till. If we don't spend taxpayer money on unnecessary things, someone else will. And this will apparently keep up until all of us have spent all the money we have (and more) and there will be no money for real needs, rather than wants.
Don't shake your head and blame it on the fire chief and the aldermen, Mr. or Mrs. Taxpayer. It is you who put these people into their positions. It is you who is ultimately responsible for what they do.
To his everlasting credit, Alderman Phil Greazzo voted against this foolishness.
"I guess this is free money from the federal government," he said, "but if we don't start refusing this money, we're just going to go deeper into debt."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 12
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'