Home » Opinion » Editorials
A 'free' RV for MFD: A nice ride to the poor farm
Apparently it won't be the City of Manchester that says "no."
Manchester's Fire Department, with the blessing of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, has applied for and received a $600,000 federal "grant" (that would be your money) to purchase a super-sized recreational vehicle disguised as a "Unified Command Vehicle.''
Why? No one can make a serious case for this thing. The fire chief didn't say his department would put out fires any faster. He did say that the police could also use it; but we didn't read any promises that they would be able to stop crime any faster with this ark.
So why get it? Well, explained Fire Chief James Burkush, "If Manchester didn't take this vehicle, then another community in the state would."
Ah, yes, the tried-and-true and never-ending excuse for tapping the federal till. If we don't spend taxpayer money on unnecessary things, someone else will. And this will apparently keep up until all of us have spent all the money we have (and more) and there will be no money for real needs, rather than wants.
Don't shake your head and blame it on the fire chief and the aldermen, Mr. or Mrs. Taxpayer. It is you who put these people into their positions. It is you who is ultimately responsible for what they do.
To his everlasting credit, Alderman Phil Greazzo voted against this foolishness.
"I guess this is free money from the federal government," he said, "but if we don't start refusing this money, we're just going to go deeper into debt."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sheridan Brown: NH is vulnerable to an oil spill and needs some protection - 2
- Al Felgar: Patients can’t wait for state to fix narrow Obamacare network - 2
- George Will: The benefits of prudence - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Paul and Cruz vie to become Reagan's heir - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal education policies hurt minorities - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Yes, our paltry rainy day fund is a really big deal - 3
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 2
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 6
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 0
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 0
- Monarchs know there's always room for improvement - 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- Town, school budgets approved in Amherst - 0
- Wilton-Lyndeborough elementary school merger plan passes - 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
Town, school budgets approved in Amherst
Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting
Hollis voters approve all warrant articles
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Rochester firm is ready to add jobs
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run