Home » Opinion » Editorials
A 'free' RV for MFD: A nice ride to the poor farm
Apparently it won't be the City of Manchester that says "no."
Manchester's Fire Department, with the blessing of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, has applied for and received a $600,000 federal "grant" (that would be your money) to purchase a super-sized recreational vehicle disguised as a "Unified Command Vehicle.''
Why? No one can make a serious case for this thing. The fire chief didn't say his department would put out fires any faster. He did say that the police could also use it; but we didn't read any promises that they would be able to stop crime any faster with this ark.
So why get it? Well, explained Fire Chief James Burkush, "If Manchester didn't take this vehicle, then another community in the state would."
Ah, yes, the tried-and-true and never-ending excuse for tapping the federal till. If we don't spend taxpayer money on unnecessary things, someone else will. And this will apparently keep up until all of us have spent all the money we have (and more) and there will be no money for real needs, rather than wants.
Don't shake your head and blame it on the fire chief and the aldermen, Mr. or Mrs. Taxpayer. It is you who put these people into their positions. It is you who is ultimately responsible for what they do.
To his everlasting credit, Alderman Phil Greazzo voted against this foolishness.
"I guess this is free money from the federal government," he said, "but if we don't start refusing this money, we're just going to go deeper into debt."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 12
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
- Bedford tops Machester East in District I LL action - 0
Community groups profit from race week
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?