Home » Opinion » Editorials
A 'free' RV for MFD: A nice ride to the poor farm
Apparently it won't be the City of Manchester that says "no."
Manchester's Fire Department, with the blessing of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, has applied for and received a $600,000 federal "grant" (that would be your money) to purchase a super-sized recreational vehicle disguised as a "Unified Command Vehicle.''
Why? No one can make a serious case for this thing. The fire chief didn't say his department would put out fires any faster. He did say that the police could also use it; but we didn't read any promises that they would be able to stop crime any faster with this ark.
So why get it? Well, explained Fire Chief James Burkush, "If Manchester didn't take this vehicle, then another community in the state would."
Ah, yes, the tried-and-true and never-ending excuse for tapping the federal till. If we don't spend taxpayer money on unnecessary things, someone else will. And this will apparently keep up until all of us have spent all the money we have (and more) and there will be no money for real needs, rather than wants.
Don't shake your head and blame it on the fire chief and the aldermen, Mr. or Mrs. Taxpayer. It is you who put these people into their positions. It is you who is ultimately responsible for what they do.
To his everlasting credit, Alderman Phil Greazzo voted against this foolishness.
"I guess this is free money from the federal government," he said, "but if we don't start refusing this money, we're just going to go deeper into debt."
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 37
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 30
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 10
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 68
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
- Playing chicken: Treating voters like idiots - 0
- Perry’s indictment: An abuse of the legal system - 24
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Headlight out leads to pot charges for Merrimack teen and her passenger - 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident wasn't wearing helmet - 0
- Too much FahrvergnŘgen: Nashua man charged with indecent exposure while driving - 2
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Garcia to air her first TV ad - 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate