Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Bench gives Celtics a boost over Rockets
Kevin Garnett added 17 points on 8-for-12 shooting and reserves Jared Sullinger and Courtney Lee added 14 points apiece. The Celtics' bench chipped in with 40 points, two days removed from scoring 47 on 59.4 percent shooting in an 87-79 victory over Phoenix.
James Harden finished with 24 points, ending his string of games with at least 25 points at 14. Chandler Parsons added 18 for the Rockets, who have dropped two in a row after winning five straight contests.
Pierce drilled a pair of 3-pointers and scored 10 of his team's first 11 points in the third quarter as Boston seized a 64-47 advantage just 2:41 into the session.
Carlos Delfino and Parsons sank 3-pointers to ignite a 12-0 run and bring Houston to within two at 83-81. Pierce answered by making a 20-footer to jump-start a 9-1 run and the Celtics never looked back.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Pierce eclipsed former Atlanta Hawks star Dominique Wilkins for 11th place on the NBA's all-time scoring list among players competing for just one team. Pierce has 23,298 points in his career. ... The Celtics defeated the Rockets for just the second time in six outings ... Houston missed eight of its first nine free-throw attempts and finished a paltry 12-for-29.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NCAA Baseball: Penmen win again - 0
- College Baseball: Mathieu, FPU cruise in NCAAs - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU rolls in NCAA opener - 0
- College Baseball: DWC stays alive in NCAAs - 0
- Penmen set sights on return to NCAA Div. II World Series - 0
- Daniel Webster nine loses NCAA test - 0
- NH College Roundup: DWC baseball team begins NCAAs today - 0
- Franklin Pierce University plays in regional opener; SNHU has night game - 0
- College Baseball: KSC nine ousted - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 12
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 0
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 2
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack