Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Bench gives Celtics a boost over Rockets
Kevin Garnett added 17 points on 8-for-12 shooting and reserves Jared Sullinger and Courtney Lee added 14 points apiece. The Celtics' bench chipped in with 40 points, two days removed from scoring 47 on 59.4 percent shooting in an 87-79 victory over Phoenix.
James Harden finished with 24 points, ending his string of games with at least 25 points at 14. Chandler Parsons added 18 for the Rockets, who have dropped two in a row after winning five straight contests.
Pierce drilled a pair of 3-pointers and scored 10 of his team's first 11 points in the third quarter as Boston seized a 64-47 advantage just 2:41 into the session.
Carlos Delfino and Parsons sank 3-pointers to ignite a 12-0 run and bring Houston to within two at 83-81. Pierce answered by making a 20-footer to jump-start a 9-1 run and the Celtics never looked back.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Pierce eclipsed former Atlanta Hawks star Dominique Wilkins for 11th place on the NBA's all-time scoring list among players competing for just one team. Pierce has 23,298 points in his career. ... The Celtics defeated the Rockets for just the second time in six outings ... Houston missed eight of its first nine free-throw attempts and finished a paltry 12-for-29.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs roll up their sleeves for Game 4 - 0
- Jones, Monarchs stay alive with Game 3 win - 0
- Monarchs in must-win situation Thursday night in Manchester - 0
- Second close loss in two days puts Monarchs in 0-2 playoff hole - 0
- Monarchs edged in overtime in playoff opener - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Hockey: Trying to stay on a roll - 1
- Monarchs complete amazing late-season surge to clinch playoff spot - 1
- Monarchs vault into playoff position - 0
- On Hockey: Monarchs need one final playoff push - 0
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 23
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs