Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Bench gives Celtics a boost over Rockets
Kevin Garnett added 17 points on 8-for-12 shooting and reserves Jared Sullinger and Courtney Lee added 14 points apiece. The Celtics' bench chipped in with 40 points, two days removed from scoring 47 on 59.4 percent shooting in an 87-79 victory over Phoenix.
James Harden finished with 24 points, ending his string of games with at least 25 points at 14. Chandler Parsons added 18 for the Rockets, who have dropped two in a row after winning five straight contests.
Pierce drilled a pair of 3-pointers and scored 10 of his team's first 11 points in the third quarter as Boston seized a 64-47 advantage just 2:41 into the session.
Carlos Delfino and Parsons sank 3-pointers to ignite a 12-0 run and bring Houston to within two at 83-81. Pierce answered by making a 20-footer to jump-start a 9-1 run and the Celtics never looked back.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Pierce eclipsed former Atlanta Hawks star Dominique Wilkins for 11th place on the NBA's all-time scoring list among players competing for just one team. Pierce has 23,298 points in his career. ... The Celtics defeated the Rockets for just the second time in six outings ... Houston missed eight of its first nine free-throw attempts and finished a paltry 12-for-29.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Big challenges? Bring ’em on - 3
- Florida State's Winston captures Heisman Trophy by a landslide - 0
- College Football: UNH in FCS semifinals for first time ever - 2
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU men cagers can't hold big lead against Merrimack - 1
- Good-natured talk leads to friendly bet in UNH game - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Hard work paid off for UNH coaches - 0
- College Football: UNH on a business trip - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 1
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos