Home » News » Public Safety
Six Tufts students rescued after getting lost in White Mtn. National Forest
Rescuers from the state Fish and Game Department responded to a 911 call around 6 p.m. Friday from the lost hikers. Conservation officers were able to locate the six students using GPS coordinates provided by 911 dispatchers, and they hiked through the night to find them, according to a Fish and Game press release.
The students had climbed the mountain earlier in the day and intended to return to the AMC Highland Center in Carroll. But they mistakenly took a trail that was closed due to heavy damage from Hurricane Irene, according to the press release.
The six hikers were identified as: Glen Zinck, 19, of Bothell, Wash.; Emily Melick, 19, of Greenwich, Conn.; Sam Boatner, 20, of Boise, Idaho; Sophia Goodfriend, 20, of Seattle, Wash.; Kirk Jackson, 19, of San Francisco, Calif.; and Andrew Miller, 19, of Lancaster, Pa.
The rescuers had to navigate around washed-out sections of the trail on snowshoes in four feet of snowpack, the press release said.
The six hikers were found unharmed around 2:30 a.m. and the group made it out to the trailhead on Route 302 around 5 a.m.
Fish and Game reminded hikers that hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather in the White Mountain National Forest is unpredictable. For a list of recommended winter hiking equipment, visit www.hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Hampton woman, 75, hit by truck in Newington in serious condition - 0
- Police: Handling issues of mentally ill just part of the job - 0
- Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use - 5
- Officials: Missing teen sent letter weeks after last sighting - 0
- UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m. - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 13
- Reams threatens to sue county commissioners - 11
- Mont Vernon picks Milford officer as next police chief - 1
READER COMMENTS: 23
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 0
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 1
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072