Home » News » Public Safety
Six Tufts students rescued after getting lost in White Mtn. National Forest
Rescuers from the state Fish and Game Department responded to a 911 call around 6 p.m. Friday from the lost hikers. Conservation officers were able to locate the six students using GPS coordinates provided by 911 dispatchers, and they hiked through the night to find them, according to a Fish and Game press release.
The students had climbed the mountain earlier in the day and intended to return to the AMC Highland Center in Carroll. But they mistakenly took a trail that was closed due to heavy damage from Hurricane Irene, according to the press release.
The six hikers were identified as: Glen Zinck, 19, of Bothell, Wash.; Emily Melick, 19, of Greenwich, Conn.; Sam Boatner, 20, of Boise, Idaho; Sophia Goodfriend, 20, of Seattle, Wash.; Kirk Jackson, 19, of San Francisco, Calif.; and Andrew Miller, 19, of Lancaster, Pa.
The rescuers had to navigate around washed-out sections of the trail on snowshoes in four feet of snowpack, the press release said.
The six hikers were found unharmed around 2:30 a.m. and the group made it out to the trailhead on Route 302 around 5 a.m.
Fish and Game reminded hikers that hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather in the White Mountain National Forest is unpredictable. For a list of recommended winter hiking equipment, visit www.hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 2
- Fire rips through Rochester industrial complex - 0
- Report due soon on alleged abuse at neuro-rehab centers - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins - 0
- Dowd's goal wins for Manchester - 0
- John Habib's City Sports:'Moment' is here: Derryfield CC renovation begins - 0
- Driver charged with DWI after mayhem on I-293 - 0
- Department of Employment Security sends confidential ID info to wrong firms - 0
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 0
- Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding - 0
- Hot deals, warm shoppers - 0
- Londonderry shelter gives residents warm place to stay after power outages - 0
Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding
Day Three in the dark for many in NH
Derry holiday parade to be held today
Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins