Home » News » Public Safety
Six Tufts students rescued after getting lost in White Mtn. National Forest
Rescuers from the state Fish and Game Department responded to a 911 call around 6 p.m. Friday from the lost hikers. Conservation officers were able to locate the six students using GPS coordinates provided by 911 dispatchers, and they hiked through the night to find them, according to a Fish and Game press release.
The students had climbed the mountain earlier in the day and intended to return to the AMC Highland Center in Carroll. But they mistakenly took a trail that was closed due to heavy damage from Hurricane Irene, according to the press release.
The six hikers were identified as: Glen Zinck, 19, of Bothell, Wash.; Emily Melick, 19, of Greenwich, Conn.; Sam Boatner, 20, of Boise, Idaho; Sophia Goodfriend, 20, of Seattle, Wash.; Kirk Jackson, 19, of San Francisco, Calif.; and Andrew Miller, 19, of Lancaster, Pa.
The rescuers had to navigate around washed-out sections of the trail on snowshoes in four feet of snowpack, the press release said.
The six hikers were found unharmed around 2:30 a.m. and the group made it out to the trailhead on Route 302 around 5 a.m.
Fish and Game reminded hikers that hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather in the White Mountain National Forest is unpredictable. For a list of recommended winter hiking equipment, visit www.hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate