Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
NHL lockout officially over, season to begin Jan. 19
Ian Clark's On Hockey: Veteran Meckler eyes playing time
Training camps will open league-wide on Sunday and the long-awaited regular season will begin on Jan. 19 with 13 games, the NHL said in a statement.
The memorandum of understanding, essentially an abridged version of the collective bargaining agreement that spells out the terms under which the league and players will operate, was the last obstacle standing in the way of ending the lockout.
Earlier on Saturday the NHLPA said its players voted to ratify the 10-year labor deal the two sides tentatively reached last week after a 16-hour negotiating session. NHL owners had voted unanimously to ratify the deal on Wednesday.
The puck will drop on the regular season next week with 26 of the NHL's 30 teams in action, including the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings at home to the Chicago Blackhawks.
The dispute, which was the league's fourth work stoppage in 20 years and the first since a lockout wiped out the entire 2004-05 season, began in mid-September and resulted in billions of dollars in lost revenue for the NHL and players.
The season was originally scheduled to start last October.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins take 3-0 series lead - 1
- Bruins cruise to Game 2 win over Rangers - 1
- Game 1 thriller goes to Bruins in OT - 0
- Bruins vs. Rangers: Here we go again - 0
- Bruins win Game 7 in overtime in epic comeback - 2
- Bruins’ scoring woes continue; series finale tonight - 0
- Goalie Reimer brilliant against Bruins as Leafs force Game 6 - 0
- Krejci 'tricks' Toronto, Bruins one win from advancing - 0
- Bruins beat Toronto for series lead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty