Frozen fundraiser coming soon to Hampton Beach
The event is the most popular and profitable of Special Olympics New Hampshire's annual fundraisers.
People of all ages dressed in costumes will plunge into the Atlantic Ocean at Hampton Beach to benefit athletes with intellectual disabilities.
The weekend begins with the high school plunge on Saturday followed by the official costume parade and Penguin Plunge on Sunday morning.
Activities will be centered near the new state pavilion, across from the Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom where the annual after party will once again be held with music, drinks, food and prizes for participants.
This year's theme for the high school plunge is "Greek Olympics," and for the main event the theme will be "Goin' to the Chapel."
Each high school plunger must raise $175 to compete, and each Penguin Plunger must raise $350 to participate.
All proceeds directly benefit athletes in local programs around the state who practice and compete in 14 sports year-round.
In 2012, the Penguin Plunge weekend raised more than $500,000 for Special Olympics New Hampshire.
Any high school student can plunge on Saturday, and anyone over the age of 15 can plunge on Sunday. Registration is open through Jan. 27 online and then in person at several area locations in the week before the event.
For more information, go to sonh.org.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.