Home » Opinion » Editorials
West Side story: No facts, just money out the door
"This" is the ongoing matter of suspended Manchester High School West Principal MaryEllen McGorry, her secretary, the cost of their replacements, and the further cost, now closing in on $50,000, of an outside law firm to investigate whatever it is that caused the matter.
This has been going on since School Superintendent Thomas Brennan suspended the pair (with pay) in September.
For all that time, the school board, the teachers, the students, the parents and the taxpayers have been kept in the dark.
The only thing they have learned, because the Union Leader has been able to obtain it, is the ongoing cost to the city.
Not only the $250 an hour going to outside lawyers, but the annual $103,700 salary being paid the absent McGorry and the $27.80 per hour paid leave for her secretary.
Board member Beaudry said last year that board members "should have been notified of what the allegations are."
Yes, and we wrote that the board should demand the facts and share them with the public.
"McGorry has a right to be treated fairly," we wrote. "She is herself a practiced attorney and that may be part of the reason why Brennan is treading so carefully. But facts are facts, and the school board and the public have a right to know the facts as to the general nature of the case against McGorry that has caused her to be on paid suspension for almost two months."
And two months more have gone by since then.
The school board, many of whose members are demanding more power, looks and is weak and pathetic on this matter.
They have the ability to stop allowing it to be hidden behind legal jargon, and they need to do it.
Among other things, some board members and the outgoing school super want their own taxing district. Imagine how much money they could spend on lawyers then.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads