Home » Opinion » Editorials
West Side story: No facts, just money out the door
"This" is the ongoing matter of suspended Manchester High School West Principal MaryEllen McGorry, her secretary, the cost of their replacements, and the further cost, now closing in on $50,000, of an outside law firm to investigate whatever it is that caused the matter.
This has been going on since School Superintendent Thomas Brennan suspended the pair (with pay) in September.
For all that time, the school board, the teachers, the students, the parents and the taxpayers have been kept in the dark.
The only thing they have learned, because the Union Leader has been able to obtain it, is the ongoing cost to the city.
Not only the $250 an hour going to outside lawyers, but the annual $103,700 salary being paid the absent McGorry and the $27.80 per hour paid leave for her secretary.
Board member Beaudry said last year that board members "should have been notified of what the allegations are."
Yes, and we wrote that the board should demand the facts and share them with the public.
"McGorry has a right to be treated fairly," we wrote. "She is herself a practiced attorney and that may be part of the reason why Brennan is treading so carefully. But facts are facts, and the school board and the public have a right to know the facts as to the general nature of the case against McGorry that has caused her to be on paid suspension for almost two months."
And two months more have gone by since then.
The school board, many of whose members are demanding more power, looks and is weak and pathetic on this matter.
They have the ability to stop allowing it to be hidden behind legal jargon, and they need to do it.
Among other things, some board members and the outgoing school super want their own taxing district. Imagine how much money they could spend on lawyers then.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 12
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans