Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Mets take a look at Brian Wilson
The moves did not quite work out. But that may not dissuade general manager Sandy Alderson from investing more cash and taking a run at a big-name reliever.
The Mets took a look at former Giants closer Brian Wilson in California on Saturday, according to several reports. Wilson, a Londonderry High graduate, had 48 saves in 2010, then six more during the postseason, as the Giants won their first World Series since moving to San Francisco.
But Wilson, 31, made just two appearances in 2012. He underwent Tommy John surgery last April. Signing Wilson would be a gamble, but it's a gamble with a huge upside.
According to CBS Sports, there are six to eight teams still in the mix on Wilson.
Since signing David Wright to a nine-figure contract and trading R.A. Dickey to Toronto for prospects, the Mets have been quiet on the free-agent front. Their bullpen has some promising arms on the 40-man roster (Josh Edgin, Rob Carson, Elvin Ramirez), but could use a few more established veterans.
Last season's closer, Frank Francisco, signed for one more year with the club and underwent elbow surgery this off-season. Francisco is expected to be ready to throw in spring training, but Wilson would give the Mets another option on the back end of the pen just in case.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 39
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false