Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Mets take a look at Brian Wilson
The moves did not quite work out. But that may not dissuade general manager Sandy Alderson from investing more cash and taking a run at a big-name reliever.
The Mets took a look at former Giants closer Brian Wilson in California on Saturday, according to several reports. Wilson, a Londonderry High graduate, had 48 saves in 2010, then six more during the postseason, as the Giants won their first World Series since moving to San Francisco.
But Wilson, 31, made just two appearances in 2012. He underwent Tommy John surgery last April. Signing Wilson would be a gamble, but it's a gamble with a huge upside.
According to CBS Sports, there are six to eight teams still in the mix on Wilson.
Since signing David Wright to a nine-figure contract and trading R.A. Dickey to Toronto for prospects, the Mets have been quiet on the free-agent front. Their bullpen has some promising arms on the 40-man roster (Josh Edgin, Rob Carson, Elvin Ramirez), but could use a few more established veterans.
Last season's closer, Frank Francisco, signed for one more year with the club and underwent elbow surgery this off-season. Francisco is expected to be ready to throw in spring training, but Wilson would give the Mets another option on the back end of the pen just in case.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Student remembered by Pelham High's Class of 2013 - 0
- School fellowship key as 220 Pembroke grads receive diplomas - 0
- Central grads told to work hard and enjoy rewards - 0
- Don't miss out, Memorial grads told - 0
- Advice to West grads: Be passionate - 2
- Emotions run high for Campbell graduates - 0
- Souhegan graduates, faculty celebrate - 0
- Jesse Remington graduates remember travel, service, and the feeling of family at school - 0
- Raymond graduates told the best yet to come - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 dead at Nashua home; police investigating - 0
- UPDATED: Judge strikes down state education tax credit program, appeal expected - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- UPDATED: Little agreement on Medicaid expansion or revenues - 1
- Powerful storm wreaks havoc in Portsmouth - 0
- Former Londonderry coach indicted in sex assault of two girls - 1
- Weather Service warns of severe thunderstorms in southern NH - 0
- Manchester resident interrupts burglary - 0
- House-Senate talks on voter ID bill quickly break down, but agreement still possible - 1
Big Moose RV moves to massive Route 16 lot
Traffic stops in spotlight
One era ends, another begins at Union Leader
A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely
Study recommends Millyard parking garage