Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Mets take a look at Brian Wilson
The moves did not quite work out. But that may not dissuade general manager Sandy Alderson from investing more cash and taking a run at a big-name reliever.
The Mets took a look at former Giants closer Brian Wilson in California on Saturday, according to several reports. Wilson, a Londonderry High graduate, had 48 saves in 2010, then six more during the postseason, as the Giants won their first World Series since moving to San Francisco.
But Wilson, 31, made just two appearances in 2012. He underwent Tommy John surgery last April. Signing Wilson would be a gamble, but it's a gamble with a huge upside.
According to CBS Sports, there are six to eight teams still in the mix on Wilson.
Since signing David Wright to a nine-figure contract and trading R.A. Dickey to Toronto for prospects, the Mets have been quiet on the free-agent front. Their bullpen has some promising arms on the 40-man roster (Josh Edgin, Rob Carson, Elvin Ramirez), but could use a few more established veterans.
Last season's closer, Frank Francisco, signed for one more year with the club and underwent elbow surgery this off-season. Francisco is expected to be ready to throw in spring training, but Wilson would give the Mets another option on the back end of the pen just in case.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- John Stossel: Sublet my people go - 0
- Another View: A voter ID compromise with which we all can live - 15
- George Will: The NLRB’s school-door stand - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty