Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Mets take a look at Brian Wilson
The moves did not quite work out. But that may not dissuade general manager Sandy Alderson from investing more cash and taking a run at a big-name reliever.
The Mets took a look at former Giants closer Brian Wilson in California on Saturday, according to several reports. Wilson, a Londonderry High graduate, had 48 saves in 2010, then six more during the postseason, as the Giants won their first World Series since moving to San Francisco.
But Wilson, 31, made just two appearances in 2012. He underwent Tommy John surgery last April. Signing Wilson would be a gamble, but it's a gamble with a huge upside.
According to CBS Sports, there are six to eight teams still in the mix on Wilson.
Since signing David Wright to a nine-figure contract and trading R.A. Dickey to Toronto for prospects, the Mets have been quiet on the free-agent front. Their bullpen has some promising arms on the 40-man roster (Josh Edgin, Rob Carson, Elvin Ramirez), but could use a few more established veterans.
Last season's closer, Frank Francisco, signed for one more year with the club and underwent elbow surgery this off-season. Francisco is expected to be ready to throw in spring training, but Wilson would give the Mets another option on the back end of the pen just in case.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice