Backer of police in schools sees change since Conn. shooting
Law changes and rodents: Reasons varied for those attending gun show
School security tops concerns as districts near budget season
"Tragedies are predicated on time. Time between somebody trying to break in and somebody trying to stop them. Time is a factor in many, many shootings that we've seen across the county. The quicker you can react the better. Time is critical," Chapman said.
A petition article asking the ConVal School District towns to fund an armed and uniformed school resource officer at the high school is coming before voters again this March.
A proponent for a school resource officer for many years, Peterborough resident Chapman filed the petition article with about 40 signatures, asking voters to fund the position with $80,000.
Last year a petition article proposed by former school board member Craig Hicks failed by a vote of 1,452 to 2,483. The petition article asked voters to approve $67,500 for the position.
Last year the petition article raised issues about safety inside the school, including Peterborough police response to out-of-control students or drug use by students. This year Chapman said that because of the shooting in Newtown, Conn.,voters are more aware of the outside dangers posed to school campuses.
Chapman needed 25 signatures for his petition and quickly got it, he said."I must have talked to 60 people. I got about 40 signatures. But I sensed in all cases a concern, maybe not a fear, but anxiousness. So when people refused me I backed off real quick because now that we've had Newtown, that adds something new to the mix," Chapman said.
Funding the position would cost the district about 18 cents per student, he said. "Money shouldn't be a factor. It should be safety for the school."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 0
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 0
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112