Backer of police in schools sees change since Conn. shooting
"Tragedies are predicated on time. Time between somebody trying to break in and somebody trying to stop them. Time is a factor in many, many shootings that we've seen across the county. The quicker you can react the better. Time is critical," Chapman said.
A petition article asking the ConVal School District towns to fund an armed and uniformed school resource officer at the high school is coming before voters again this March.
A proponent for a school resource officer for many years, Peterborough resident Chapman filed the petition article with about 40 signatures, asking voters to fund the position with $80,000.
Last year a petition article proposed by former school board member Craig Hicks failed by a vote of 1,452 to 2,483. The petition article asked voters to approve $67,500 for the position.
Last year the petition article raised issues about safety inside the school, including Peterborough police response to out-of-control students or drug use by students. This year Chapman said that because of the shooting in Newtown, Conn.,voters are more aware of the outside dangers posed to school campuses.
Chapman needed 25 signatures for his petition and quickly got it, he said."I must have talked to 60 people. I got about 40 signatures. But I sensed in all cases a concern, maybe not a fear, but anxiousness. So when people refused me I backed off real quick because now that we've had Newtown, that adds something new to the mix," Chapman said.
Funding the position would cost the district about 18 cents per student, he said. "Money shouldn't be a factor. It should be safety for the school."
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Needing answers in Weare: The first step to accountability - 0
- Where terrorists win: The world's one 'kill Americans' zone - 5
- Expanding NH economy: Of energy costs, trains and clowns - 3
- Obama acts illegally: Shaheen parrots his talking points - 64
- Regulations must adapt: Cities cannot squash the new economy - 3
- Offend someone? To jail with you! - 22
- King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis - 42
- VA wait times: They are still bad - 6
- NH votes matter: A House close to the people - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- High School Football: Lawrence, Mass., tops Salem - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Manchester says streets will be clear for Fisher Cats Thanksgiving 5K - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Uber at $40 billion valuation would eclipse Twitter and Hertz - 0
- S&P 500 ends at high — boosted by tech - 0
- Black Friday specials expected to lure 140 million shoppers - 0
- John Stossel: Be thankful for American property rights - 0
- Keene State to lead national initiative on economic inequality - 0
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection