Home » News » Public Safety
4-alarm fire levels chicken coop, guts garage in Lyndeborough
A fire on Center Road in Lyndeborough destroyed a chicken coop and gutted a garage. Chickens and cats belonging to the owners, the Stephens family, are still unaccounted for. (Nancy Bean Foster/Union Leader Correspondent)
Just after 11 a.m., firefighters from Lyndeborough, Wilton, Milford, Amherst, Temple, Greenfield, Mont Vernon, Francestown and Peterborough responded to the fire at 1196 Center Road. The fire went to four alarms shortly around noon.
It appears that the fire started in a chicken coop at the rear of the house, spread to a two-car garage and into an addition on the back of the house. Rainsford Deware, officer in charge of the Lyndeborough Police Department, said no people sustained any injuries in the blaze, but animals may have been lost.
"There are still cats and chickens unaccounted for," he said. The home belongs to the Stephenson family, Deware said, but the owners weren't available for comment. The chicken coop and the garage appear to be total losses. Firefighters were able to stop the blaze from entering the main part of the home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 4
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
- Teen driver hospitalized following accident in Rindge - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 12
- Despite contract provisions, most Manchester police officers live outside city - 23
- Londonderry response team celebrates 10th anniversary - 0
- Police say to expect more arrests in wake of Keene chaos - 6
- Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation - 8
- Bedford woman injured when tree falls on her - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?