Home » Opinion » Editorials
Intimidation? Open carry is not
Rep. Delmar Burridge, D-Keene, thinks the person bearing the handgun openly is engaging in a hostile act. Speaking of people who openly bear arms while going to the town clerk's office to pay their taxes, he said, "Why subject public employees to this kind of intimidation?"
To spare these employees such horrors, he has introduced a bill that would make it illegal to openly carry a firearm in a public place - unless the owner has obtained a concealed carry permit. "I'm trying to bring some sanity back into it," Burridge told this newspaper last week. "One person can have more fire power than the Continental Army facing the British at Bunker Hill. That's ludicrous."
What is ludicrous is requiring a concealed carry permit for the act of carrying a weapon openly. What in the world is the point? It would not prevent open-carrying, it would just make it inconvenient, which is silly. This is not a bill to protect the people. It is the irrational fear of guns written into a feel-good measure that will make no one safer.
And by the way, the patriot militiamen at Bunker Hill lost the battle because they ran out of ammunition. It is rather easy to be better armed than they were. And in any case, their humble supply of munitions really has no bearing on how a citizen should be allowed to exercise his Second Amendment right to bear arms, which many men died that day and in the years thereafter to protect.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
- Supreme Court says Manchester man who lost towed car while hospitalized can sue - 4
- Powerball jackpot: Another chance at the (your) golden ticket - 1
- Endowment established for Milford support organization Bridges - 0
- Flags to fly at half-staff Wednesday and Friday - 0
- NH Lottery games debut Mother's Day - 0
- Marathon bomber's body entombed in undisclosed location - 1
- Powerball jackpot grows to $270 million for Saturday - 0
- NH Preservation Alliance honors 10 for protecting historic treasures - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- NH troopers help Boston victims - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'