Home » News » Public Safety
Windsor camp students evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning
According to Dr. Amy Sousa, deputy executive director for Camp Wediko, a nonprofit residential school for children with behavioral and emotional challenges, the students were in class in another building when the carbon monoxide detector went off in the dormitory. However, it was decided that the students and staff who spent a lot of time in the dorm should be evaluated to ensure that carbon monoxide hadn't built up in their bodies.
Sousa said that of the eight students who were evaluated, three were checked by on-site medical staff, and five were transported to Concord Hospital for more thorough evaluation. And 13 staff members were also sent to the hospital to ensure there were no residual effects from carbon monoxide.
"We sent anyone we had any question about, including one boy who had a head cold, just to be sure," said Sousa. The staff slowly returned to camp throughout the afternoon, and the students were expected to follow shortly after, said Sousa. However, all of those evaluated will be re-evaluated in two days to ensure there are no other signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches.
The evaluations will take place either on campus with the camp's medical staff, or students will be sent off-campus, said Sousa. In the meantime, the furnace inside the dormitory was shut down and serviced by a technician to determine if there were any mechanical problems, and Sousa said the fire department was on hand to inspect the dormitory and found no obvious problems.
"We're taking every precaution to ensure there are no other problems," said Sousa. "We'll be monitoring that building constantly to make sure everyone is safe."
There are currently 41 students living at Camp Wediko, 11 in the dormitory affected by the carbon monoxide issue.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 4
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax