Home » News » Public Safety
Windsor camp students evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning
According to Dr. Amy Sousa, deputy executive director for Camp Wediko, a nonprofit residential school for children with behavioral and emotional challenges, the students were in class in another building when the carbon monoxide detector went off in the dormitory. However, it was decided that the students and staff who spent a lot of time in the dorm should be evaluated to ensure that carbon monoxide hadn't built up in their bodies.
Sousa said that of the eight students who were evaluated, three were checked by on-site medical staff, and five were transported to Concord Hospital for more thorough evaluation. And 13 staff members were also sent to the hospital to ensure there were no residual effects from carbon monoxide.
"We sent anyone we had any question about, including one boy who had a head cold, just to be sure," said Sousa. The staff slowly returned to camp throughout the afternoon, and the students were expected to follow shortly after, said Sousa. However, all of those evaluated will be re-evaluated in two days to ensure there are no other signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches.
The evaluations will take place either on campus with the camp's medical staff, or students will be sent off-campus, said Sousa. In the meantime, the furnace inside the dormitory was shut down and serviced by a technician to determine if there were any mechanical problems, and Sousa said the fire department was on hand to inspect the dormitory and found no obvious problems.
"We're taking every precaution to ensure there are no other problems," said Sousa. "We'll be monitoring that building constantly to make sure everyone is safe."
There are currently 41 students living at Camp Wediko, 11 in the dormitory affected by the carbon monoxide issue.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 2
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win
New Hampshire Club News
Derry council defends officials' purchases
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands